Monday, October 26, 2015

Volume 4 - Matisse Pasillas





VOLUME 4 - Matisse Pasillas

It's that time again and this Monday.... Youth is Served!
This young man not only is a really good drummer but he is musically mature for his age.
While we are in an age of young katz out there making solo vids and overplaying on gigs, it's nice to know that there is someone out there that knows how to serve the song. If this is where he's at now, he will be a beast  and he will always have a gig.
His current situation is his band called Undecided Future. They are a Pop, Funk, Reggae, Ska outfit with the skills to go with all of that.

Ladies & Gentleman  Matisse Pasillas is.....TALKIN' CHOP!




Name or Stage Name:  Matisse “The Monster” Pasillas

Where are you from? Long Beach California born and raised

How long have you been playing? I've been playing since I was a baby with small percussion toys but I got more in depth with the drum set when I was about 12
What is or are your main genre of playing? My main genre is pop which can expand to funk, r&b, hip hop and reggae.

How did you get where you are now? I got here thanks to my friends and family. My dad Tiki Pasillas has played drums and percussion with some big artists such as Marc Anthony, Jennifer Lopez, The Jimmy Kimmel show, Arturo Sandoval and many more, he has inspired me to make a career out of music and art.
What are your goals, short & long term? My life goals are to be playin stadiums and arenas with my band while makin dope ass records collaborating alongside my inspirations and new artists. I also plan to be directing music videos and being involved with film making, art design and fashion.

Artists you would like to play for? I dream to play with Stevie Wonder, R Kelly, Slightly Stoopid, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, Snarky Puppy(if I was a good enough drummer), Miguel, Tribe Called Quest, Erykah Badu, and Snoop Dogg.

List some of your accomplishments.  My band Undecided Future has opened for artists such as No Doubt, Allen Stone, Frank Ocean, Snoop Dogg, The Dirty Heads and played venues such as the House of Blues, The Coach House, The Honda Center, Kaaboo Del Mar Festival and some other fun places. Undecided Future has won the OC Music Awards People’s Choice Awards 2014 and nominated best Youth Band, 1st Place winner of Anaheim Duck’s Battle of the Bands at the Honda Center 2015, 2nd Place winner of LA County Fair Battle of the Bands. My other group The Casual Hour has played alongside Sage One the Wise and the Pizza Gang opening for Rae Sremmurd, Nipsie Hussle and Jedi Mind Tricks. I’ve played with CD9 famous Mexican boy band on the 2015 Latin American Music Awards. I went to Orange County School of the Arts where I did 4 years of film school where I met all of Undecided Future.
Do you have your own band? genre? Details…. My group Undecided Future, we play pop/funk/r&b/reggae. I also play with an R&B/Hip Hop group called The Casual Hour. I just started playing with rapper Sage One The Wise who collaborates with Casual Hour and  Undecided Future.


This is "SUPERFINE" from their debut EP Disco Balls & Mating Calls
(my personal fav on the project)

Do you play any other instruments? level? Other than drums and percussion I know basic guitar piano and voice just enough so I can help write music along with my group.

What are your touring experiences, if any? I have no touring experience but I have traveled with my dad who has been touring for more than 15 years.

Describe your current set up & gear - heads and sticks included and why you choose these items? My setup changes all the time depending on the gig but I like to keep my kit small and convenient. I use a rosewood Gretsch drum set. I like very toned colorful sounding toms and tight high/mid snare. Remo skins all the way, they are durable and diverse. Bitchin cymbals by Zildjian. I use a 12 inch timbale made by Cadeson. Then I got an Octapad by Roland which has killa samples that can bring the 808 sub kick to make the ground and bootys shake. Vic Firth sticks, sometimes timbale style sticks just cuz they look cool and feel sturdy.

Do you have multiple kits and snares? I have about three kits and a couple snares to choose from, again all depends on the gig and what sound I want in a recording, and they are Gretsch.

Which wood shells do you prefer? I don’t really care what shells, as long as they sound good and they keep my sound colorful and bright.

How do you describe your drumming style? My style of playin is a mix of different stuff I'm just influenced by. I'm really into gospel playing cuz its just so dynamic and fast. R&B drumming is very tight and patient which sounds sexy as fuck with a tight band. I guess my style could be described as very colorful yet experimental cuz I fuck with electronic drums and 808’s.

Why the drums? Why the drums? They are so fun to play and especially when you really start to feel the groove when playing with other musicians, I connect to it very spiritually, I can get a really nice music high when I’m really feelin it. Its also the beat which makes you wanna move and shake that ass, seriously though good drummers can make people dance.

"Take Your Shirt Off"
(another fav of mine)



If you weren’t playing drums, what would you be doing? If I wasn’t playing drums I would probably still be doing film making and hopefully another instrument.
How has drumming impacted or changed your life? Drumming has allowed me to hear music in a more scientific matter such as hearing the rhythms in other instruments and sounds. It's impacted my life because I've met so many amazing people through playing and I can't wait to meet more.

Is the music business your career? Hell yeah the music business is my career, I love collaborating with people and I wanna bring something new to the table and show people that there are no rules to music, just do what sounds good, and say goodbye to all the haters ;)

Are you involved in the local music scene in your hometown? Yeah the local music scene in Los Angeles is crazy and I love seeing local shows.

Name 5 of your drumming influences? why? 5 drummers I'm influenced by, Tony Royster Jr, cuz he is the gospel chops king and a badass. Bud Gaugh from Sublime, he really created the Reggae Dub Stylie and his flare of reggae punk s really fun. Erykah Badu, although she’s not a full time drummer, she definitely has a big say in what she wants her drums to sound like in her recordings and for her live shows. James Brown, again not a full time drummer but he pretty much is a drum himself along with his band and he created a new genre of music driven by diverse beats. Eric “E Panda” Hernandez drummer for his little bro Bruno Mars, I like his style cuz it's similar to mine in which it's just a mixture of different styles.

Do you record drum videos of yourself? why? how has it helped you? I have not recorded a drum video yet, myself and my best friends are film makers so I'm sure it won't be a challenge to put something like that together.

Do you concentrate on Chops or Grooves? I'm all about chops and grooves, I think the simplest beats can be the best because they flow so well with the other instruments.


Are you into electronic drums? Yeah, I think electronic drums are the future and it just expands the world of drums making new sounds. People complain that Hip Hop isn't real music because the drums are fake, but really they are still sounds made by people right? So why not venture into that library of music, people can be so ignorant and are afraid of change. So yeah it's fun to fuck with electronic drums cuz it's new, different, and it's fun to piss ignorant people off ;)

Are you a songwriter as well? Yeah, I help write music with Undecided Future.
Do you sing and play? I sometimes sing and play, I find it hard to keep the beat while keeping the right note on point but I try.

Do you prefer studio sessions, local live gigs or touring? I love studio playing because it's just creativity in the works and I love creating new music and beats. Live gigs are so fun, some of the funnest moments I’ve ever had were live shows, I can't wait to see what stages I'll be playing in the future.

Do you prefer being in a band (artist) or being a sideman? I prefer being in a band because I just love playing with other people especially with friends because I have really good chemistry with them, like we just know what we wanna play together, shout out to Cole Fredrick, Matt Jarnagin, Nick Stone, and Hayden Lyskoski love you guys.
Do you have a crazy or interesting gig you can share with us? Yeah I just played a show with Sage One the Wise at the Observatory and it was my first time playing with a live DJ (DJ LaLa) scratching records to my beats which was dope as hell and the crowd was super hyped.

What are your words of wisdom for your fellow drummers out there? My words of 18 year old amateur rebellious advice to any drummer would be to play how the fuck you wanna play and create your own style because a teacher can never tell you who you are and how you wanna play. If somebody tells you “that doesn't work, musically”, then obviously you got somethin going on because that’s what people used to tell James Brown- “If it sounds good, and it feels good, then its music”.

Last Words, Links, Hashtags and Thank You’s??? Yeah, that's me as a drummer, We have an EP on iTunes, Spotify, Tidal and wherever you can find music. It’s called Disco Balls and Mating Calls by Undecided Future. Check out our band page at http://www.undecidedfuture.com/ you can find us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Our next show will be at the Federal Bar in Hollywood November 21st, more deets on our page. Thanks to DeHaven for this dope ass interview, much love.


How was that? yeah, i knew you would dig it!
Big Thx to Matisse and his band. I consider it a privilege to play my small part. This is why i started this, to help katz get more exposure and use this for their own promotional needs.
I wish Matisse and the boys nothing but success! #KeepItLocked

TC fam, I really need you guys to support these artists that i present to you. Buy their albums, go to the shows and if you can purchase their merch directly from them. This is how artists are able to tour and put some kool production value in their concerts...which are for YOU!
Join their social media and mailing list. People move the Music Business not Corporations.

De~

No comments:

Post a Comment