Monday, March 14, 2016

Volume - 15 Steve Pruitt


Steve Pruitt



Alright peeps, once again we're here to bring you some of the finest drummers from around the world, that you might not have heard about. This week, I have the pleasure of introducing you to a guy who is a fantastic player. Extremely versatile and dedicated to the craft.
Whether he's ripping on some Gospel/Rock track, playing with an Orchestra or laying down some sweet Jazz, this gentleman gets it done. He is also an educator...in Seoul, Korea. Spreading the power of music through drumming. Thx to a mutual friend, I was able to meet Steve and we got down to Talk some Chop!




Name or Stage Name:
Steve Pruitt

Where are you from?
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 

How long have you been playing?
Longer than I can remember, 25 years? 

What is or are your main genre of playing?
I have a multi faceted music career. Currently I play in jazz, pop, funk, hip hop groups. 



How did you get where you are now?

Desire. I truly love music! Also, surrounding myself with people that are better than me.



You are an Adjuct Professor in Seoul, Korea. How did that happen?

Some of my friends who I play with recommended me and I got the job! 


Coming from Oklahoma and Texas, was Korea a big culture shock for you? 
Yes! Korea is a beautiful country and I have definitely learned a lot living here. I will say that it took me opening my mind and being patient to accept the new way of life, but once I did, things became easier and better! I'm still learning, I'm still learning. 

Is Teaching one of those things you always wanted to do? 
Yes! I've been teaching since my sophomore year of high school. I just love the process of seeing people learn new things and see them be inspired by music. I also solidify and expand my own knowledge by having to explain it. 




How do you find the music scene in Korea? What kinds of things are they into?

The music scene in Seoul is quite huge and quite diverse! There are always more musicians moving here. It seems as though most up and coming musicians like to play "gospel" style funk. 

"I'm next" by CDUB. LISTEN WITH HEADPHONES!


What are your goals, short & long term?
Short term: to write/produce music for my own projects. 
Long term: I want to start making my own albums. I also would like to have an online music lesson site. 



Artists you would like to play for?

Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Christian McBride, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Bjork, Wayne Krantz, Kimbra, Hans Zimmer, Lalah Hathaway etc....


List some of your accomplishments
In 2000 I was a finalist in the Guitar Center Drum Off and in 2002 I received the Shelley Manne Scholarship to attend the University of North Texas. 

Some artists I have played for include: 
Oz Noy, Eddie Gomez, Snarky Puppy, Antonio Hart, Bernard Wright

 Steve Pruitt with Snarky Puppy 2014


Aside from teaching, are you doing any other gigs there? 
Actually, playing takes up most of my time. Teaching is only part time. I play a lot of concerts/recording sessions. 



Do you play any other instruments? 

I have some "hobby" instruments. Guitar, Piano, Pandeiro and some other ethnic percussion.

Have you done any touring or did you jump right into teaching? 
Actually I have toured a lot. I went on a number of tours with Snarky Puppy, and have toured with a wide range of artists. 


Describe your current set up & gear - heads and sticks included and why you choose these items? 
My kit is a Canopus Yaiba Groove Kit (22, 10, 12, 16, 14) it has amazing tone but is also quite articulate because it is Birch. My heads right now are Evans Coated G1 on everything (accept for the Emad heavyweight on the kick), just can't go wrong there! Such consistent heads! Sticks are Promark, I use .535, .550 and Bill Bruford signature models. Promark is the most consistent and highest quality sticks on the market! 
I have MANY Sabian cymbals, my favorite is the 22" artisan light ride. Beautiful and Versatile cymbal! 

Do you have a “Dream Kit”? 
Well, I am a Canopus artist and now they are making me a RFM series kit with my favorite sizes. That is a dream come true!


How do you describe your drumming style?
I strive to have these elements in my style: Feel, Musicality, Individuality and Energy.

Why the drums?
The drums feel good to play. I got started because the rhythms and vibrations just resonated within me. 



If you weren’t playing drums, what would you be doing? 

Can't even imagine it! 

How has drumming impacted or changed your life?
It taught me discipline and diligence. It was my escape from harsh realities. 

Name 5 of your drumming influences? why?
Tony Williams-individuality, innovative 
James Black-swampy, swingin and super musical
Dennis Chambers-funky, powerful and unique 
Vinnie Colaiuta-not afraid and pure commitment
Brian Blade-music is in his every pore 






Name an inspiring concert that made you want to go home and start shedding?
Branford Marsalis Quartet with Jeff Tain Watts......chills.....

Are you able to practice?
Yes! I have my own little studio that I practice/record/teach in! 

Do you record drum videos of yourself? 
Yes! I post a bit online! 
Yellow Brick Road - Drum Cam

Are you a songwriter?
Not a good one, but yes

Do you prefer studio sessions, local live gigs or touring? 
They all have different merits. I love to do it all! 



Do you prefer being in a and (artist) or being a sideman? 

Sideman is logistically easier but being a leader can be more fruitful. Both. 

Do you have a crazy or interesting gig you can share with us? 
I have MANY stories and crazy gigs, but maybe the most recent one was I was a featured soloist with a 80 piece orchestra! That was new and quite fun! Don't think that happens often in the drumming world. 

Steve Barakatt concert, Drum solo with 80 piece Orchestra!


What would you like your legacy to be?
To be a good and kind person that spreads love through music!




What are your words of wisdom for your fellow drummers out there?

The core of what you do should be love. Love what you do, don't worry what others think. Then work your butt off! Learn every aspect of your craft and play with musicians that are better than you. Take chances and enjoy the journey! 

Last Words, Links, Hashtags and Thank You’s???
Music is a wonderful and beautiful thing, however don't take yourself too seriously. It should be soul nourishing and fun. 

If you want to stay in touch hit me up! 



Instagram: @stevepruittmusic

Twitter: @joshuaheaven 


Well there you have it kids, Very Impressive.
Steve's kool versatility definitely makes me feel like I need to work more on some of the other genres I have been neglecting.
I dig listening to players who are musical in their approach, not just playing drums. Something I think we all strive for. A Big thx to Steve for reminding us of this and giving this interview. Please catch up with Steve and say "Hello" join him online and support another working drummer.


If YOU would like to be interviewed for Talkin' Chop

just hit me up:
DeHaven - de@oliomusic.com







No comments:

Post a Comment