Monday, June 6, 2016

Volume 36 - Zeke Martin





ZEKE MARTIN






First thing I'm gonna say is check out the track "Mark Of You" some very kool brush work by Zeke Martin and The Oracle. It's on their album SAY WHAT.

Some of you may know this Band Leader, Side man extraordinaire, Songwriter, Producer, Host of The Drum Show on Vimeo...yep, the list goes on. Zeke is a multifaceted kat with great touch and soul on his instrument of choice. He one of those katz that I always love to watch and study from because they make it sound so good and look so easy.
I didn't really know where to begin with Zeke, simply because he is very well versed and experienced. So like I always when faced with this challenge, I kept it simple and this is what cam of it. A great drummer Talkin' Chop.


*


Name or Stage Name: Zeke Martin

Where are you from? Born in Belgium

How long have you been playing? 
30yrs playing the drums. 15yrs teaching. 

What is or are your main genre of playing? 
Funk Jazz. I also play jazz, R&B, Gospel, Reggae, Funk, Fusion and Rock 

How did you get where you are now? 
Meeting people and introducing my self to anyone and everyone. Passing out my business card to everyone. Practicing and learning my craft and the music business. 

What are your goals, short & long term? 
My goals are to make music that makes people feel good and tour around the world and share that music with people. 

Artists you would like to play for? 
Herbie Hancock, John Scofield, John McLaughlin that's all I can think of right now. 

You have done a lot since the age or 12. Can you give us a few of your favorite high lights: 
highlights I would say are: my band touring to Malaysia, Playing at NAMM two yrs in a row. Playing for the Red Sox in 2004. My band releasing 6 albums. 





I saw you were playing in a band called Paper Parlor, Do you play with them all the time? I don't actually I was just subbing for their drummer. I have my own band called The Oracle. 

So, with The Oracle.... are you working on a new album? 

 Zeke Martin and The Oracle are about to release our 6th album entitled #suf should be coming out in September. 

"One Year"


What other projects besides The Oracle do you have going on? I perform with a couple bands as a side man. Lance Martin Band (no relation). Ben Hillman Band. Jonathan Singleton Band

Do you like being a freelance musician or would you rather have one central project? 
I like both because my band is central but I like playing with other musicians as well. 

Describe your current set up & gear - heads and sticks...ect? 
My set it a 5 piece Creation Drums custom drum set. Cymbals are Zildjian. Sticks are Vic Firth signature Zeke Martin Stick. Everything I use I'm endorsed with. Companies are: 

Endorsements:

Zildjian Cymbals

Vic Firth Sticks

Creation Drums

Kickport 

Chord & Major Earphones Sedo Audio

Beato Bags

Kaces 

Grombal

Cymbal chief

Evans Heads

Rooster Thrones

Drum Tags

DeCreshendo Jewelry 


Vic Firth - Performance Spotlight



Being that you have to be a chameleon musician, Do you have an array of gear to fit the situations your in?
most of the time I use the same kit for all the shows. I mainly change what cymbals I use depending on the style of music I'm playing. 

Which wood shells do you prefer? 
I really like maple for my drums and birch for my kick 

Do you have a “Dream Kit”? 
 What I'm using now. Creation Drums





How do you describe your drumming style? 
Well I try my best to be as versatile as possible so I can play with any type of band that calls me. 

Why the drums, was it your fathers influence? 
Kind of. My father Stu Martin played drums so I guess I wanted too. My mother said "be a garbage man you'll make more money". But I wanted to be a drummer. It's in my blood 

If you weren’t playing drums, what would you be doing? Playing tennis or acting. 

How has drumming impacted or changed your life? 
I grew up on stage. With my father being a musician and my step father being a lighting designer I use to this life style and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. 




You also have an interview show on Vimeo, The Drum Show. Where you interviewed a number of well known and accomplished drummers.
Is that still happening? 
I started the drum show because I wanted to world to know that there are a lot of drummers out there that are making a living playing drums and not just the 5 that you always hear about. I did the drum show for 5 years. I don't do the show anymore. It was great talking to all those drummers and learning from them. You can still check out the videos at www.vimeo.com/thedrumshow


Are there a couple of shows that stick out for you? 
Actually no, I loved every single show they were all great. Each individual one. It was a lot of fun and a pleasure to talk to every single drummer I talked to. 

Are you involved in the local music scene in your hometown, other than just playing? 
Well I have a consulting firm called EZ Consulting where I give advice to musicians that need help with getting to the next level in the music industry. ezconsulting@gmail.com

Name 5 of your drumming influences? why? 
Stu Martin - my father. Ron Savage - my first drum teacher. Steve Michaud - my last drum teacher. Helped me get to the next level. And Dennis Chambers - well because it's Dennis Chambers. I really love his playing and his pocket. 

Name an inspiring concert that made you want to go home and start shedding? 
First time I saw Dennis Chambers play live. I was like oh my god I want to go home and shed. 

How much time do you practice? 
When I was coming up I was practicing 6-8 hrs a day. Now with life, teaching, gigs and family. I try to practice at least 5-7 hrs a week. 




What types of things do you work on, in those sessions? Most of the time I work on rudiments around the drums. I like it to be spontaneous when I'm on the band stand. I just wanna make sure that if I hear it I can play it live and not have to worry about it and have it come out naturally. 

Do you record drum videos of yourself? if so, how has it helped you? 
I record videos of my band performing but I don't really watch them. I post them for other people to watch. So if they couldn't make it to the show then they can watch it online. 


Drum Solo




How would you describe your original works? 
Funky with some jazz in it. Something to make you groove and feel good. 

For some of our up & comers, can you give a little advice for being a "studio drummer" vs. the "live gig" drummer? 
Best thing I can say is learn how to play with a click track. In the studio that's the most important thing and keep it simple. Play the music not drum solo the whole time. 

Do you have a crazy or interesting gig you can share with us? 
I did a gig a long time ago with this hip hop band and we were playing when all of a sudden we all see this thong fly up on to the stage. We stop look at it and then keep playing. That was a fun show. 

What are your words of wisdom for your fellow drummers out there? 
I tell say this to all my students or when I'm doing clinics. Listen with your eyes and look with your ears. 

Last Words, Links, Hashtags and Thank You’s???
For more information you can check out my website at:
#ezmstepitup 
I would like to thank DeHaven for reaching out and doing this great interview. Big thanks to all my companies, GSD Management and of course my amazing wife and son. 


Mna, That was some kool stuff right there! Zeke Martin is the truth and I am so glad he shared a little bit of his drum life with us.
You guys have to get some of his music. It is versatile and beautiful. If you like listening to musicians just play and vibe, then you will be a fan of Zeke and his music.
If live in his neck of the woods go check him out and say "Hello"
Let's support Jazz in all its forms and its musicians, ya dig?!

*

Thank you Zeke, for taking time out of your busy schedule to Talk and little shop. I appreciate your talents and works.

We do it all here peeps, Rock, Funk, Jazz, Gospel, Reggae ect...if you play it, we want to share it and promote it.
Are you in a band? Do you teach? Are you a hired gun? whatever the situation, let's share it with the world.
Contact me:

DeHaven - de@oliomusic.com
www.facebook.com/dirtyde
www.facebook.com/talkinchop
http://twitter.com/talkinchopblog

#DrummersSupportDrummers  #TalkinChopBlog 
 #DrumLife

I'M OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment