Sunday, September 9, 2018

Volume 65 - Drew Stevens




DREW STEVENS







Hello my fellow drum enthusiast. It is another exciting day in the drum world. I'm hyped to bring you another up & comer. This time we head to the East Coast. I actually found this kat thru a submission site I was on, looking for an opp for my band. It just so happened they were looking for an opening band for one of their shows in L.A. 
I didn't submit but when I checked them out, I was diggin' what I heard. So I did some research and found another young gun ready to take on the world. I have no doubt these young men are going to make some noise on the circuit. You can find them on tour with another great band (and drummer) Vinyl Theatre. But right now you can catch him on Talkin' Chop. (see what I did there?) lol. 




*




Name or Stage Name: Drew Stevens

Where are you from?
I'm originally from Manalapan, New Jersey or central Jersey if you believe it exists.

How did you get started playing drums?
When I was in 4th grade I played trumpet in the school jazz band. The trumpet section was right in front the drummers so I would listen to them play every rehearsal. My neighbor just so happened to be one of them and he showed me some things on his kit at home. I was instantly hooked.

How did the The Catching form?
The Catching was the product of a few School of Rock's in Jersey. Holden (Singer/Bassist) and Jake (Guitarist) were neighbors and grew up together. They had gone to the same School of Rock as Evan (Guitarist) and then came to the School of Rock I attended. Eventually the four of us got together to form the Catching in 2013.



Did you always want to be in a band?
As soon as I felt like I was getting the hang of things on the kit and my chops were coming together I knew I needed to be in a band. I remember calling a guitarist early on before The Catching because he was looking for a drummer to join his band and I couldn't sleep that night from the excitement after he said that I should come in for an audition.

What is the best part of being in a band, for you?
I love playing live with really talented musicians. There is an energy between musicians when they are in lock step with each other and the audience that I haven't found anywhere else. It's addicting.



"Do It All Again" by The Catching








You guys are currently on the road, do you like touring?
Touring is one of my favorite parts of being a musician seeing different cities, trying different food and appreciating how beautiful this country is... it's so rewarding.

Is this the first tour for the band?
We've been on a few tours but not like this one. We'll be playing 40 different clubs and rounding the country twice so this is a high caliber tour for us and we're ready to take it on.

Being that this is a long run, what are you doing to make sure you are physically and mentally sharp every night?
I try and hit some of the hotel gyms on the road though that can become challenging with ever changing schedules. I like to stretch my fingers and on occasion I'll run into a Guitar Center to hop on a kit and jam for a little. Mentally I like to run through the set once or twice a day so I can really solidify timing for interludes and fills that could be more effective at certain times. Before I hit the stage I like to wave my hands back and forth at my side and concentrate on the air that runs between my fingers. It clears my mind of anything going on in my life so I'm very focused when I go on.

You guys released a new single this Summer "Get Even" How was the process in the studio?
"Get Even" was started with a demo idea that Holden had and then we all jumped on it and was written and recorded within 2 days.



Take a listen: 





On Get Even, your playing reminds me of Matt Flynn from Maroon 5. Solid pocket with that nice swing to it:
Matt Flynn has great feel and style. So I appreciate that.

Did you guys work with a producer or are you self produced?
We worked with Matt Squire to produce that song. He's such a great guy and very good at bringing out the best in bands. A "music plumber" as he says.

Are you please with the outcome?
"Get Even" is one of my favorite songs we've ever written, I couldn't be happier with that one.

You guys have released some singles, are there plans for a full length album?
We have 5 new songs in the works and plan to drop one of them in early October.

So, what's your current set up & gear - heads and sticks...ect?
Currently I have a Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga kit. I have Evans EC2 clear heads on the two toms and kick. I use a 13'' Pork Pie "Little Squealer" Snare with and Evans Dry head on that. I'm endorsed by Soultone Cymbals with 13'' Gospel Hats 16" Gospel Crash 21" Vintage Ride and a 19" FXO. I've been fond of the Vater 5B's at the moment and I mainly use DW hardware.



How did you find out about Soultone and what do you like about their cymbals?
My old drum teacher Chris Stone told me about them and when I tried them out I fell in love with their sound. They're very durable cymbals (I've been playing my 16" crash for over 3 years) so I know I can rely on them and the team behind them are great and I enjoy working with them!

Do you have a "Dream Kit"?
I'm still looking for my dream kit but it's most likely between a Gretsch USA Custom or a Yamaha Live Custom.

How do you describe your drumming style?
I like to think I'm a versatile drummer with rock roots with funk and gospel influence. I have always aspired to perfect some real gospel chops one day.

What intrigues you about "Gospel Chops"? Can you apply it to what you're doing with you band?
Gospel chops intrigue me because it is something I was never taught from a teacher. My first teacher was a reggae oriented player and my second teacher played punk and latin. Gospel drumming has a flow about it that you can't find in other styles. I put sprinkles of it in fills and some beats but I also want to serve the song first and since we play more rock/pop I want to keep that at the forefront. 



If you weren't playing drums, what would you be doing?
I really don't know what I'd be doing, I almost don't like to think about that.

How has drumming impacted or changed your life?
Drumming since I started has been a massive part of my life. Its been my release since the start of 7th grade and a passion that has never been a burden but a pleasure. Almost everything I am proud to have accomplished has come from drumming.

Asbury Park, NJ is your hometown, How is the live music scene?
Asbury Park has an interesting music scene. They've been trying to figure out what is "cool" for some time but I will always call it home and between The Stone Pony and The Brighton Bar, The Catching was truly born and raised there.

Name 5 of your drumming influences? why?
Brad Hargreaves of Third Eye Blind has always stuck out to me, I used to play the record "Blue" on repeat in my room when I was a kid. 
Neil Peart of Rush of course. 
Luke Holland has always pushed my mental boundaries. 
Eric Moore is just such a monster on the kit one day I want to be able to play with his speed and intensity. George Daniel of The 1975 is very creative and always puts a great twist on what could be a simple pop beat.

Name an inspiring concert that made you want to go home and start shedding?
I saw Mutemath when Darren King played with them at Terminal 5 in New York, his playing and style had me home for the next week just playing.

How much time do you practice?
I try and practice once a day whether that be by myself, on a pillow with just sticks or with the guys full band.



What types of things do you work on, in those sessions?
Sometimes I just play to release energy, most of the time I try and work on weaknesses and sometimes I play because I heard a song in my car that makes me want to get on the kit and jam with it.

Do you record drum videos of yourself? if so, how has it helped you?
I have recorded videos of me playing. It brings a new perspective for yourself, seeing what you can improve on and what looks good when you play.

Do you have a crazy or interesting gig you can share with us?
We got on a tour called the High School Nation Tour and the first show was in Texas playing outside to about 3,000 students. We were the first band up to play and we had never played to more than 500 people at the time. That was a very memorable gig.



"Lock That Door" by The Catching






Playing in front of 3,000 High School kids,, that I assume didn't know much about you, how was the response?
It was fantastic! There is an energy that a rock band brings that people can instantly connect to. Kids were on top of other kids shoulders, throwing their hands up, it felt like a true music festival. 

You guys are still young guys and have been touring and gigging, Do you guys feel like younger people are still into "Bands"?
Mike Rowe has a quote: "Look where everyone is going, then head in the opposite direction". Kind of an enhanced "Take the path less traveled". This resonates with me because everything at the top of is Urban and the tone of most modern Urban music is "I don't care about anything, whatever, I'm the best, let's do drugs". Everyone is headed in that direction I want to be at the front of bringing back music back that can move you, that can make you think and makes you feel different emotions. I see this shift already and I'm excited to see where it goes.

What are your words of wisdom for your fellow drummers out there?
Watching other drummers of all styles and emerging yourself in their playing has always helped me. Whenever I feel like some of my playing is getting stale I'll dive into a different band or drummer and spark a new interest. It's how you can become a great all-around drummer which I aspire to be.

Last Words, Links, Hashtags and Thank You's???
Check out The Catching tour and music on iTunes, Spotify, Youtube and www.thecatching.com shout out to Soultone Cymbals for endorsing me, and I'd like to thank Talkin' Chop for the opportunity to talk about my passion!



*



I always like it and appreciate it when you see a young kat in the game who plays well and has the passion and perspective needed to be successful in this business.
Thanks Drew for taking the time to share your drum life with us! I wish you and the band nothing but good fortune in your future.

Remember to link up with Drew and his band The Catching on all soc. med. platforms and drop a "Hello" on Drew. If you can, go to a show & experience them live.


Once again, if you or someone you know would like to be interviewed for Talkin' Chop, please contact me:



DeHaven - de@oliomusic.com



I would like to thank all of my sponsors:

Olio

Soultone Cymbals - SJC Drums
Cympad - Cymbag
Phatfoot Drum Harness - Sweet Spots



#TalkinChop #DrummersSupportDrummers #DrumLife


I'M OUT!


No comments:

Post a Comment