Monday, May 16, 2016

Volume 32 - Brad Campbell






Brad Campbell





Work ethic, passion and talent are some of the essential tools needed to make it in this game and this kat has them in spades. His attention to detail is great and he has the "feel" to go with it. This is not always present in this genre of music but Brad is a different kind of guy and shows us, you can be aggressive but still be sensitive to the song and the other players in the band. His band Truth Untold are getting ready to drop their project soon and I highly suggest picking it up. There are some samples of what's to come here but I'll be honest with you, I'm ready for more! No more delay, let's see what happened when we started Talkin' Chop with Brad Campbell.



Name or Stage Name: 
Brad Campbell 

Where are you from? 
Jacksonville, AR 

How long have you been playing? 
For about 15 years now. 

What is or are your main genre of playing? 
Modern Rock/Hard Rock 

How did you get where you are now? 
I remember listening to "One" by Metallica and hearing the machine gun double bass blasts in the bridge of the song, and thinking "Ok I'm not sure what he did there, but i want to do that". I started picking up and learning any and every song I could possibly make my way through and did that for years, until I finally joined a band in junior high. From then it was just playing in bands and practicing as much as I could. Driving the neighbors and parents as crazy as possible. 

What are your goals, short & long term? 
Short term is to finish the album we are currently working on. Long term is just to get the music out for people to hear. I've always wanted to be the best drummer possible, to the point that if I play a show and I felt as if I wasn't the best drummer at the show, I'd practice non stop for weeks. 

Artists you would like to play for? 
I would love to jam with James Hetfield of Metallica. Sevendust would definitely be a dream come true. 

Your in a band called Truth Untold, what kind of band is this? 
I would say it is more modern rock. Nothing too soft, nothing too heavy. 

TRUTH UNTOLD "Silent Screams" (coming soon) 



How did you guys form? 
I was previously in a band with one of my best friend's who played bass. When that band ended I joined another band with our current singer. The 3 of us decided to form Truth Untold, and for a while it was just a drummer, bassist, and guitarist. Our singer knew a guy who played bass that was willing to make the switch to guitar and it ended up working out perfectly. 

Are you one of the songwriters in the band? 
We pretty much all are. I've always just had me and a guitarist writing songs in previous bands, but in this band everyone has brought something to the table. 

What would you say are some of your bands best qualities? 
We all bring very different styles and musical interests. This is the first band I've been in where everyone is hungry and actually gets along very well. We all just want to make music that sounds really good, and no one is really worried about being flashy or showing off skills to the point where it just kills a song. 

As Indie bands, you have to hustle to make things happen... do you perform any other roles in the band, other than drummer? 
Pretty much any and everything I need to in order to help the project move forward. I'm a big perfectionist when it comes to music. I'll put in extra time in the studio to make sure all the music comes out the best it possibly can. I'm not very artistic and can't create logos or art work, but I'll throw my ideas out to people who can make it happen. 

When do you anticipate the new album to drop? 
Definitely this year. Hopefully in the fall. 

In listening to a couple of your songs, "Pursuit" and "Time Will Tell" I noticed your feel is very song oriented, as opposed to just laying into the drums. Where does that come from for you? 
I try not to do too much , and have it end up not making very much sense. I tend to always follow the guitar for most of the song, and then do fills based around vocal melodies. I don't know that I've ever intentionally done this, it's just what I feel when I play. 


Truth Untold - Pursuit


You have even fills and great dynamics, is that just repetition in the practice room? 
Well thank you. I think everything with the drums comes down to how much time and practice you put into it. But a major factor is just how much I listen to music on a daily basis, and how I break every song down and try to take a little piece here and there and incorporate it into my style. 

Your drums are a distinct part of Truth Untold's sound. Is that your idea or was that a producer, saying "hey, give me some more tom fills..."? 
It was something I heard from the beginning. I've always been a huge fan of the low end sound of Toms and the Bass drum. I wanted to capture that element in our music as much as possible, and have that really stick out and pop. 
Having only 1 guitarist in this band leaves some space to play with other instruments a bit. I greatly wanted to fill that space with different drum components and have toms and bass stick out. 

Being that your in a relationship with Lisa, Do you think that helps the chemistry between drums and vocals? 
It surely doesn't hurt. There's still some building of the musical chemistry there, but it's allowing both of us to grow and expand.

Although there is a lot going on in the tracks, it's not cluttered. There is some great space. Is that something you guys concentrate on as a band? 
It really has been. That has been our mold from the beginning. We wanted to make good music that both musicians and non musicians could both enjoy and respect. Keep it simple, but add in some flavor and technical parts here and there as an accent. You lose musicians pretty quick if the song is too boring, but you lose non musicians even quicker if the song has too many moving parts. We wanted to find that middle ground.

Just listening to the bands sound, do you think you would ever incorporate electronics to your rig? 
We have played around with adding a keyboard. Even written some of the songs, originally, based around keys. Our hold up is, we like the number of people in the band currently, and don't really want to add another person. We could easily add keys, processing, electronics, etc on the back end and just play to a track live. But for right now with this first album, while we grow as a band, we decided if we can't pull it off or reproduce it live, then we don't want it on the album. Not to say we won't revisit that idea moving forward. 


Truth Untold - Time Will Tell



Can you list some of your accomplishments as a drummer? 
A previous band of mine won a couple battle of the bands, and were fortunate enough to be able to go to Atlanta to get one of our songs professionally recorded for free. We also hosted and headlined a show for local Police and Firefighters that were killed and injured after being hit by a car. We were able to raise a good chunk of money for the families. 

Do you play any other instruments? 
I do not. I just don't seem to have the patience for guitar or piano. Not for the lack of trying. 

What are your touring experiences, if any? 
No touring experiences. Something I would love to experience and look forwarding to doing. 






Describe your current set up & gear - heads and sticks...etc? 
Currently using ddrums, two bases with Iron Cobra pedals, 4 toms, and 6 cymbals. Evans heads and Vater Sticks. 

Do you have multiple kits and snares? 
I have a Roland Electric kit for practice purposes, but the ddrum kit is the main set up. 

Which wood shells do you prefer? 
I'd have to go with Maple. It just seems as though it has a deeper sound to it. 

Do you have a “Dream Kit”? 
Ever since i started playing I've always wanted Lars Ulrich's white drum set from the And Justice For All Tour. It was just so massive and endless. 

How do you describe your drumming style? 
Calculated is the best word I can sum it up with. I try to make everything I do make sense and have some form of meaning other than to just carry a tempo. I try to fill every bit of space there is with something, sometimes even to a fault. Overall just a full style with some sort of drum hook. A guitar and vocals can have a hook in a song that no one forgets. I try to have that same logic in on songs. I want to leave people with something they wont forget. 

Why the drums? 
It's just what stuck. I always heard a beat in my head, and was always taping and making noise. Being introduced to a double bass rhythm set it over the edge. 





If you weren’t playing drums, what would you be doing? 
That is a good question. God knows I cant sing. I would probably have spent more time learning guitar or piano. 

How has drumming impacted or changed your life? 
Its a stress reliever. By themselves drums can be the most annoying thing in the world. But when you start writing and get into a groove, there's just not much else that touches it. Its driven me to want to be the best possible. 

Is the music business your career? 
Its not. That's a tough gig to get into, and the industry seems so much difference and temporary than it ever has. 

Are you involved in the local music scene in your hometown, other than just playing in your band? 
Not near as much as I would like to be. I support, download, and get into a lot of local music, but I don't make it to shows like I would like to. 

Name 5 of your drumming influences? why? 
1. Morgan Rose - Sevendust is a huge one. His syncopation and rhythm is just out of this world. 
2. Danny Carey - Tool. His time signatures and style is so intricate. I've tried to pick a lot of his tom and double bass work up. 
3. Chris Adler - Lamb of God. Its never a dull moment with him. His cymbal work is great and fills every second of a song with some sort of fill. 
4. Matthew McDonough - Mudvayne. He never stops. Much like Adler he fills every second of a song with something. Very unique style. 
5. Dirk Verbeuren - Soilwork. Ive tried to mold my styling around the first 4 listed. This guy I cant even fathom mimicking. He has perfected his basic rudiments to a point where he hardly moves and produces some of the most technical stuff I've heard. 

Name an inspiring concert that made you want to go home and start shedding? 
Anytime Sevendust comes to town. One of the best live shows I've ever heard, and Morgan Rose always delivers. 





How much time do you practice? 
Nothing near what i use to. I try to get a solid jam in once to twice a week. I listen to music everyday of the week and take mental reps, breaking down every song on drums, every time I listen to it. There's songs I've been listening to for years that I still couldn't tell you the lyrics, or what the guitar is doing. 

What types of things do you work on, in those sessions? 
I might plug the headphones in and play to others music, or I might put on one of our songs and try to perfect the drums in any way. Anything to stay loose and keep at it. 

Are you doing any freelance work aside from Truth Untold? 
I am not. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the days anymore. 

Do you record drum videos of yourself? if so, how has it helped you? 
I really haven't. I try to stay away from it. When I see myself from a live performance I pick it apart for weeks. Seeing what I can do better or change in any way. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to stuff like that. 

Do you sing and play drums? 
HaHa, I do not. That's not something any one would want to hear. 

Do you prefer studio sessions, local live gigs or touring? 
Other than the loading in and out, I like live shows. The energy you get from that is hard to beat, even in a very small venue. 





Do like being in a band (artist) or being a sideman? 
I love the band aspect. Something you can call your own, and not something that you just feel like you walked into or are "just the drummer" in. 

Do you have a crazy or interesting gig you can share with us? 
Two that come to mind, nothing too over the top or crazy though. We played at a skate park once and the ramp was too short for my drums. Toms and cymbals kept falling off, people had to keep putting them back up and holding them mid song. And another time the guitarist had his amp go out mid song, so it was pretty much drums and vocals for the next 2 minutes of the song. 

What are your words of wisdom for your fellow drummers out there? 
Keep practicing and just keep at it. It's definitely not something that gets perfected over night. Its easy to lose the momentum or even just get lazy and stuck in a box. Before you know it, you are starting all over again. Every band can find a drummer, very few can find a good drummer that fits and adds a little something extra. 

Last Words, Links, Hashtags and Thank You’s??? https://www.facebook.com/TruthUntoldband Truth Untold-Pursuit Just thank you to Talking' Chop for this opportunity and thanks to anyone who reads this or supports the music.


*

Is this kat for real with those fills?!
I really dig this band and can't wait for the album.
I want to give a big thank you to Brad for sharing his drum life with us and introducing us to his band Truth Untold.
Please make sure you join up with him and them on their soc. med. sites
Support their music and their journey.

Are there any drummers out there who need some promo for themselves and/or their band?!
Hit me up and let's get this thing going!

DeHaven  de@oliomusic.com


#DrummersSupportDrummers  #TalkinChop  #DrumLife

I'M OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment