Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Volume 27 - Travesty Davis





Travesty Davis





You say you like your music hard and loud?
Well, you have come to the right place.
I bring you a drummer and his band, who like to give it to you just as promised.
Just because you come from a small town, doesn't mean you can't do big things and make some noise in this music game.
And where there is noise, there is usually a drummer, lol!

The "person of interest" in this case is Travis Davis aka Travesty. I think the nickname says it all, so let's investigate the scene and see what we come up with.
I would like to introduce you to "Travesty" now read what he had to say to me about his band and drum life right here on Talkin' Chop.


Name or Stage Name: Travesty Davis

Where are you from? Porum, Oklahoma 

How long have you been playing? 27 years 

What is or are your main genre of playing? 
Heavy metal 

How did you get where you are now? 
Hard work. I've had sand kicked in my eyes and beat down by bands to point of giving up. I'd just stand, live and learn.

What are your goals, short & long term? 
I set my goals big. So i would say my biggest goal is to help take The Devil You Adore as far as we can.


The Devil You Adore


Artists you would like to play for, if you could? 
Believe it or not the Dixie Chicks in their prime. They got killer tunes plus a great view..

List some of your accomplishments: 
Having a great band is one with a great group of guys and our twisted sister we have on vocals.. was part of band called Pain Ensemble that won western Arkansas Battle of the Bands, People Choice Award was cool.. One project close to my heart is helping try to raise money for Bridging The Gap Search team with my band.. They need as much help as they can get to go help search for missing loved ones..

Do you have your own band? 
Yes, its The Devil You Adore we are a chick fronted Metal band out of Stigler, Oklahoma.




Are you a songwriter in the band? 
I help co write a lot of the lyrics and arrangements..

What's the music scene like in your hometown? 
Basically 2 bands.. The Devil You Adore and Reliance Code. But there is a band out of Ft. Smith, Arkansas we like to consider in our scene that's Vague Vendetta.

"Temptation in Treason" by The Devil You Adore


Do you play any other instruments? 
Guitar, Bass and Vocals..

What are your touring experiences, if any? 
With TDYA we haven't had a whole lot. My former bands many many gigs in many different places..

Describe your current set up & gear - heads and sticks included and why you choose these items? 
I use a mid 2000's Tama Birch Superstar kit in titanium fade color. 12,14,16,18 and 22 kick in a 2 up 2 down configuration. 14 and 13 snares. Evans G2 heads with rings. Evans EMAD heavy on the kick. DW 9000 double kick petal.. Gibraltar hardware. Zildjian A custom cymbals 8,10,12,14,16,18,20 inch a 20 Zildjian projection ride. 8inch zil bell and 18 china and 14 inch master sound HH. 2BN Silverfox or Pro Mark sticks. I love the birch wood cause to me it has a low heavy tone but yet cuts right past the guitars. The G2 ive recently started using about a year ago i love them gives great warmth with attack compared to the Remo pinstripes I played for years. EMADs to me on a kick is the only way to go they just got the right sound. Sometimes i use an Aquarian super kick2. They are nice also.. I was Zildjian for years then went Sabian for awhile but Zildjian just has that tone only they can make. DW 9000 is just a tough kick its easy and hits hard. 2B nylons i love the ping sound. Silverfox makes a great durable stick cause i hit hard and they withstand the trauma. Pro Mark oaks if i cant find Silverfox.




Do you have multiple kits and snares? 
2 Tama kits. My main kit and a 1 up 1 down practice kit.

Which wood shells do you prefer? 
Birchwood or Cherrywood 

Do you have a “Dream Kit”? 
Yes, Neil Peart's R30 kit

How do you describe your drumming style? 
Hard heavy brutal whipping style. I've been told I look like I play with whips instead of sticks..

Why the drums? 
Doug Clifford from Creedance Clearwater Revival..Hearing him play as a kid just warped me into a trance with his sound and style. The First day I ever heard them I went straight home and set up boxes and coffee cans and started beating away to "Chronicle" for weeks..

If you weren’t playing drums, what would you be doing? Probably bass guitar. Would for sure be in music.

How has drumming impacted or changed your life? 
Its made me a very disciplined person for sure. I think even being cool to others and take time for a stranger comes from it. Its made me not hear so well also, lol.




Is the music business your career? 
No, I wish and hope one day it will be. It has made and cost me money but I love it! There is nothing greater than jamming out with friends or a group of fans.

Are you involved in the local music scene in your hometown, other than just playing in your band? 
Yea I like to think so. I have people in other bands call me for advice or thoughts. I try to find time to help as many as I can on anything. But also, I go to them for help as well.

Name 5 of your drumming influences? why?
Doug Clifford because I believe he put drums in my heart.
AJ Pero because he was just awesome and hard hitting player. 
Phil Rudd because he plays in the pocket and is the greatest Rock N Roll drummer ever. 
Shannon Larkin because he is just so bad to the bone. Everything about that guy rules and just puts me in awe. 
Neil Peart because he is the best time keeper in the game. That dude is a drum god to me. 

Name an inspiring concert that made you want to go home and start shedding? 
There has been so many but I'm gonna say a recent one I saw back in February that's Iron Maiden in Tulsa, Oklahoma I was in the front and it was so insane for me. Looking at them and they are making eye contact back and just stare at you and rock out. Just super cool.



How much time do you practice? 
Not like I should but about 8 hours a week..

What types of things do you like to work on in those sessions? 
Timing and double bass grooves..

Do you concentrate on Chops or Grooves? 
Yea, each time is different things I go for. I kinda practice like I play, by feel.

Do you sing and play? 
Yes, I do backing vocals for The Devil You Adore

Do you prefer studio sessions, local live gigs or touring? All of it, really. I soak up every second of it like there is no tomorrow.




Do you have a crazy or interesting gig you can share with us? 
Back, years ago in Pain Ensemble we were playing a all day gig in Arkansas. It was so hot and the sound guy came to stage and told us he was sick and leaving. So I had to run back and forth from stage to sound both trying to get us our stage mix and nothing was labeled. It turns out we played that hour set with no sound at all. Luckily we knew our stuff and pulled it off. The rest of bands were lucky because I ran sound for them.. we had to take that bullet though.

What are your words of wisdom for your fellow drummers out there? 
Don't give up no matter what and play from your heart. Always be true to yourself, your band, other bands and your fans because you need them all..

Last Words, Links, Hashtags and Thank You’s??? 
Yea, I would like to thank my band The Devil You Adore Brian,Tatum, Rhett and Dizzy. They make me sound good. Our Crew, our Fans and my family Tonya, Brittany, Storm and Brianna for putting up with my crazy life. My mom Barbara for all the coffee cans, buying me my first kit and putting up with all the loud drums and radio pouring out my bedroom..
And last my Brother in heaven, Kevin and my sister Sherry who is with him there. I know they are looking down and proud of me.. 

#supportlocalmusic
#bandsbandtogeathertobridgethegap 



There it is, Travesty the drummer, giving you an insight to his Rock n' Roll life.

Thanks Travesty for agreeing to be a part of TC and taking the time and sharing your world with us. Big thx to your band The Devil You Adore as well. I wish you guys much success and dreams fulfilled.
Hey everybody, make sure you connect with Travesty and his band on Soc. Med. 

*Talkin' Chop is always looking for drummers to interview and promote. so, if you or someone you know would like to be a part of this, please contact me:


DeHaven - de@oliomusic.com


#TalkinChop #DrummersSupportDrummers #DrumLife

I'm Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment