Monday, April 18, 2016

Volume 26 - Jim Marchuk



Volume 26 - Jim Marchuk




Ladies and Gents and drummers from all over,
I want to introduce you to Jim Marchuk. I met Jim through Facebook and the first thing I noticed about him was, he is a guy who loves drums and really enjoys drummers. You can often find supporting and encouraging all of us, with his kind words and shop talk. He is also one of the reasons why I started this blog. The player who you may never hear or see but the drummer who is always working and doing it well. It is an important part of our industry and these drummers deserve some appreciation and respect.

And on that note...Jim Marchuk is Talkin' Chop with me!



Name or Stage Name: 
 Jim Marchuk

Where are you from? 
Montrose, Michigan

How long have you been playing? 
43 years

What is or are your main genre of playing? 
Country and Christian Praise

How did you get where you are now? 
God, parental support and practice

What are your goals, short & long term? 
Would love to eventually become studio musician, but have a great opportunity with Sonny Thurnall and the Hitchen Post Band on EP, iTunes and upcoming album.

Artists you would like to play for? 
Always dreamed of sitting in with Chuck Mangione. Sonny is a good gig so far. Vince Gill or any current Christian Contemporary artist.

List some of your accomplishments:
Played in Opry House band in Lebanon Ohio
Had lesson with Thee... Joe Morello
Feeling pretty good about this opportunity with Sonny
Have met a lot of great friends in the drumming community
Made it on here to Talk Chop with De.

Do you have your own band? genre? 
Sonny Thurnall and the Hitchen Post Band, Country

Do you play any other instruments? 
No

What are your touring experiences, if any? 
Haven't toured professionally

Describe your current set up & gear - heads and sticks included and why you choose these items? 
DC California Custom Drums Maple kit, stock heads, Soultone Gospel Series Cymbals and SF-JX-L sticks by SilverFox Drumsticks. Best sounding equipment I have ever played on. And great people running these companies make you feel like family.

I know you're a Soultone Man, What was it about those cymbals that spoke to you? 
 The great sound and the fact they have so much knowledge and great selection of Cymbals for every genre.



How do you like your DC California drums? 
I play them all the time when I go and pick out new cymbals from Soultone.
I absolutely love the DC Drums. They are so well made. Look and sound great. The feel without the air holes gives great response and control of sticks. Their tone is unmatched in my opinion. The picture I have attached is my kit when it was new for NAMM 2012. I feel very honored to have this kit. I am sure many a great drummer, maybe even you, has graced the heads.




Do you have multiple kits and snares? 
Yes

Which wood shells do you prefer? 
Bubinga

Do you have a “Dream Kit”? 
Actually yes. And it is currently being crafted by Iki Levy and Tomer Rom at DC California Custom Drums. Steam bent Bubinga. Natural high gloss lacquer with a black graphic crown of thorns so that I can remember what Christ went through for me each time I play them.




How would you describe your drumming style? 
Jazz infused timekeeper, trying to add to the music being made at the time.

When you're on a gig, do you have a "drumming" objective for the night? 
Make the music going on around me sound the best I can. Adding to, not overplaying.

Why the drums? 
Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa! Need I say more?

If you weren’t playing drums, what would you be doing? I am actually a professional Packaging Engineer, but also love video games. But truthfully cannot imagine my life without drums!

How has drumming impacted your life?
Gives me a chance to let off steam by hitting the drums and has given me an opportunity to meet a lot of great people, like you, that I may not have otherwise met.

Is the music business your career? 
Trying to be that way.

Are you involved in the local music scene in your hometown? 
Not this minute. The Sonny gig is taking a lot of my time.

Name 5 of your drumming influences? why? 
Buddy-the best, Krupa-pretty awesome, Gadd-my favorite, Mack Pittard my mentor, teacher and friend, and finally Chad Smith-powerful and musical.
Plus Rich Redmond is one of my favs because of his playing and what he gives back in teaching.


#ThrowBack Jim



Name an inspiring concert that made you want to go home and start shedding? 
REO Speed Wagon at the Old Pine Knob in Michigan. Bryan Hitt just makes the right moves and is so musical and love their music to pieces.

How much time do you practice? 
1-2 hours a day now. Wish it could be more.

What things do you like to work on? 
Actually applying rudiments around the kit to build vocabulary and still working on double bass improvements.

Are you a songwriter? 
I have dabbled a bit. Mostly lyrics. My best friend Robert Kunc would compliment with the music part. He is really talented.

Do you sing and play? 
I have.

Do you prefer studio sessions, local live gigs or touring? Studio sessions would be my choice, but playing live is a great feeling.

What is it that you like about being in the studio, recording?
I like being in the studio because it allows me to be making my own sound rather than doing covers. I mean I like Country so I like doing covers, but people want to hear what they are used to. It feels kind of cool to be coming up with parts and in the back of my mind thinking..."yeah, this is something I am coming up with based on all the vocabulary I have gleened from listening and practicing." I just really enjoy the ability to create rather than copy.

Jim on a gig...


Do you prefer being in a band (artist) or being a sideman? 
Being in a band.

Do you have a crazy or interesting gig you can share with us? 
Played a wedding one time with my old band Ventura Highway, and at end of the last set noticed everyone was by the outside door looking out. Finished set, walked over to ask what's up, and found out Bubba and Joe were fighting. But that Bubba had just gone home to get his shotgun..... I never packed up and left so quick ever again!!!!

What are your words of wisdom for your fellow drummers out there? 
Keep the love and passion alive in your playing.

Last Words, Links, Hashtags and Thank You’s??? 
Just thanks to you, De for this interview. Praise God for my talents. And check out my artist pages at Soultone Cymbals, and DC Drums and SilverFox Drumsticks both coming soon.



Very kool stuff Jim, Thank You so much!

BTW- I know you're wondering "hey, where's the videos and audio clips?!"

They are coming....at this time Jim doesn't have anything I could use but he does have a project coming out very soon and I will post all of the info once I get it. But rest assured, he is good and more importantly a good guy.


Please visit Jim on FB. He's a good friend to have.


Would you like to be interviewed on Talkin' Chop?

Maybe you know someone who needs some free promo for themselves or their band...

Well get off your duff and contact me:


DeHaven - de@oliomusic.com




#DrummersSupportDrummers #TalkinChop #DrumLife


I'M OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment