Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Volume 40 - Devin Beaman






Devin Beaman 





*


So..this edition of TC is a special one for me as I got to interview a longtime, childhood friend of mine. We've known each other since around 6th grade or so...when he & his mom joined my church. We used to to hang out during choir rehearsals and cause trouble, just being boys. But one thing that we always had in common was music and drums. Now that we have grown older and have families, we don't get to hang out like we would like to and just talk shop but when we do, we make the most of it. I am very proud of his accomplishments as a musician and as a husband & father. I definitely looking fwd to seeing him do more great things.
He just released a brand new drum video featuring his own original composition, which you will see & hear. He is also working on some other kool stuff that's gonna drop soon.
It's very kool to have a project and then to be able to have your friends support you and participate in that project.
Ladies and Gents, today my friend, Devin Beaman is Talkin' Chop.


Name or Stage Name: Devin Beaman

Where are you from? Philadelphia,Pa

How long have you been playing? 
Starting hitting on stuff at the age of 2.

What is or are your main genre of playing? 
Don't really have a main genre. I love playing or trying to play every style of music .



How did you get where you are now?

Good support from friends and family, and persistence.


Your Mom (Helena Venters) is an amazing vocalist and someone I have had the pleasure of playing with for a long time at church, How did she influence your musical career?
My mom was the reason how I discovered the drums . She brought me to one of her rehearsal when I was very young , and that was the beginning of the dysfunctional relationship between me and the drums, lol.

Ms. Helena singing "Respect"
*Not with Devin


What was it like like playing gigs with your mom?

Gigging with my mom was a good thing .She has a beautiful voice. And most of all, I've learned some things from her along the way .



What are your goals, short & long term? 
Put out a ton of creative
content (solo EP) and play with some headlining artist or a band and most of all, hope to inspire someone along the way ! 😃

Artists you would like to play for? 
Who ever wants to hire me but would love to play
Gwen Stefani .

List some of your accomplishments:
I played with Bow Wow Wow , Meg Lee Chin , The Randies and Oslo .



Do you have your own band?
Yes, we are called The Idea. 

Do you play any other instruments?
Keys 

What are your touring experiences, if any?
I've toured with Bow Wow Wow , Meg Lee Chin and the Randies.

w/ Bow Wow Wow - "I Want Candy"



Describe your current set up & gear - heads and sticks...
Currently I am playing on a Custom kit made by Rob's Recipe Drums w/ Supernatural Cymbals , and I'm using Vic Firth sticks and Remo drumheads. Vic and Remo are a marriage made in heaven to me . Both products give me the sounds and comfort I aim for when I'm playing.

Do you have multiple kits and snares?
No, not yet 

Which wood shells do you prefer? 
I like both Birch and Maple, each one serves it purpose.

What would be your ideal gear setup? .
Mapex MyDenity or Saturn V kits and Meinl Cymbals

How would you describe your drumming style?
Sometimes peaceful and sometimes extremely violent ! 😬

Why the drums?
The sound of them and the way they look ! 

If you weren’t playing drums, what would you be doing? 
I probably be focusing more on Art . I love to create !



How has drumming impacted or changed your life?
It built up my confidence through the years. It is a very therapeutic instrument to me . I love the drums! 

Is the music business your career? 
Not 100 % yet , but working on it .

Are you involved in the local music scene in your hometown?
Yes , I'm playing with a few local groups right now. 

Name 5 of your drumming influences?
Will Kennedy, John Bonham , Keith Carlock , Steve Jordan and Dennis Chambers

Why?
Groove and Pocket .

Can you name an inspiring concert that made you want to go home and start shedding? 
When I saw The Jacksons at the age of 7. 

How much time do you practice? 
Not a enough . 

Are you involved in local Shedding sessions? 
Not involved at all . But very open to to finding one to be involved in .

Describe your current gig(s)
All cover bands right at the moment . Working on original content too.

Do you record drum videos of yourself?
Yes I do, working on new stuff right now . 
This is "Toil" an original track by Devin Beaman

Why?
The freedom to create and it is great for you to put yourself out there as a artist .

How has this helped you?
It has helped me realize that I am capable of doing something on my own .

Do you concentrate on Chops or Grooves? 
Groove always!


Phantogram - Howling at the Moon Drum Cover


Are you into electronic drums at all?
Yes I am 

Doing any programming? 
Not yet

Are you a songwriter as well?
Yes I am , working on my own EP.

Do you sing and play?
A little , not as much as I would like.

Do you prefer studio sessions,local live gigs or touring?
I love all of them !

Do you prefer being in a band (artist) or being a sideman?
I prefer more of being in a band , because of being involved in the creating process.

Do you have a crazy or interesting gig you can share with us? 
Played the Greek Theater for the first time and a drumstick flew out of my hand on the first song and almost hit the singer in the head! Embarrassing! Lol

What are your words of wisdom for your fellow drummers out there?
Stay true to yourself and be yourself. 

Any Last Words, Links, Hashtags and Thank You’s???
Stay strong and focus out there, everyone. I would like to thank God , with him all things are possible! Thank you DeHaven you are the man! Also would like to thank Collin Hilborne and Georgia Prentice from Prentice Practice Pads ,Clay and Tami Drayton from Phatfoot Drum Harness,and JC Clifford from DrumTacs. These are some of the best drum products out there today. Go to my website 

www.devinbeaman.com
(all of my social media links are on my site as well) the links to their sites are on my endorsement page. Feel free and check them out. FB Page
Also, last but not least, I want to thank my wife and my kids. It is always awesome to have people who love you and support you in this journey that we involve ourselves in called drum life ! Thank you to you all.
Devin and his wife Shannon

Devin with his two youngest kids

(This is why we do what we do)


Big THANK YOU to my homie Devin!
Even though you're a Philly guy, I got your back! (Pittsburgh Baby!) hahaha!!
Man, thx so much for doing this interview and sharing your drum life and your music with us. You are doing your thing and I hope all your dreams are fulfilled.

Well, there you have it Devin Beaman a kool guy and a great talent. I hope you all enjoyed this edition of TC. Make sure you guys swing by Devin's Soc. Med. pages and drop him a 'Hello' and show your support.

Dummers: If you or someone you know would like to be interviewed and promoted on Talkin' Chop...
Hit me up.
If you're out there hustling in this music game, I wanna hear about it, so everyone else can hear about.
*It's FREE PROMO!!!!

DeHaven de@oliomusic.com
www.facebook.com/talkinchop
www.facebook.com/dirtyde
http://twitter.com/talkinchopblog


#DrummersSupportDrummers  #TalkinChop  #DrumLife




Devin, Glen Miller, Scott 'Pistol' Crockett and DeHaven
@ a GC Drum Off Competition


I'M OUT!



No comments:

Post a Comment