Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Volume 72 - Yannick Sastre









Yannick Sastre










 *



 Still hanging out in the beautiful country of France..via the internet, lol. This time choppin' it up with a kat who is doing some pretty wild stuff, on top of teaching and keeping busy as an A&R for a cymbal company and drumstick company. An avid promoter of drummers as well. It's always a good thing when you meet players who really enjoy their drum life.
I urge you to view the video from his project Orlando Furioso at the link the below. It is a very interesting collaboration. But before we get there let's Talk Chop with  Yannick Sastre.


Where are you from?
Bordeaux, France

How long have you been playing?
I play since 1981

What made you want to play drums?
The sound!! The look of a drum kit!

What are your main genres of playing?
Rock'n Roll, Hard Rock, Funky Music and Latin

What are your touring experiences, if any?
Yes..I did tour a lot with the baroque Opera named Orlando Furioso from 1996 to 2004 (8 to 10 to 12 drummers) and also with bands like Bad to the Bone (1993-1996), Barry Lyndon(1982-1987) and Sonic Temple (2001-2005).



So, did you enjoy touring?
Yes I did as it was not really some big tours very far and, so on, it was not over tiring.. We went on all borders states here and a little bit North. But, basically it was all around South West and deeper South around Spain. It was with really great audiences...and a great bunch of friends.




Describe your current set up & gear - heads and sticks...ect? 

I'm currently using a Custom Ludwig Classic Maple kit in 26"13"16" sizes and Vintage White Marine Pearl finish. All die cast hoops and custom teflon isolated screws inside shells for maximum resonance. I have more than 50 snares including Ludwig (of course), Pork Pie, Oriollo (from Serbia here) and Sonor. I also have a 2nd kit 3ply Walnut/Poplar/Walnut at recording Studio Chagneau (owned by Philippe Vian). I mod a lot of kits for drummers here. Currently I will receive some White Coated Attack drumheads from Cardinal Percussion (Mark Tirabassi is a REAL Pro) as I find these heads are the very top ( and the closest to Ludwig Weather Master models in fact). 


So, you are the A&R for Soultone Cymbals in Europe. How did get involved with the company to begin with?

Yes I was signed to Soultone Cymbals as an Endorser 3 years ago and then,step by step, I did purpose them (Europe & USA) to work with them. 

They accepted and..here I am. It's a wonderful company with superb sounding cymbals. They help a LOT of drummer worldwide. 

I have a lot of Soultone cymbals here. My preference goes to Vintage '64s, Old K's Protos and Extreme models. I do my best and they are absolutely awesome with me and all French Artists here. I just opened Soultone France on Instagram.

I also distributed Pork Pie thru drumshop Inforythmie (1991-2001) and Ludwig (2001-2003) for France.

You also are working with Solobeat Drumsticks. What made you choose their sticks?
Yes that's right: I also work for Solobeat Drumsticks in Indonesia . They can custom make ANYTHING you can think about in terms of drumsticks. I got my own model with signature and logo. Balance and feel are amazing.



What do you look for in a new artists joining Soultone or Solobeat? and what are your responsibilities?
As for Soultone I have to make a first selection as of all inquiries I receive. The artist has to be really professional in his approach and he/she must have some pro filmed YT videos with pro sound as well as pro audio files to send and a very good exposure on social medias. Soultone's philosophy is to help all these up and coming drummers that are totally ignored by most others well known cymbals brands. As long as they present themselves in a professional way and gig/record regularly with Pro image and sound, that's good for us (Europe and USA). This is the original Iki Levy (Soultone founder and CEO) mantra. I like that. And, very important : nothing is free at Soultone Cymbals. Of course well seasoned Pros comes also and everybody gets the same price. No difference. This really did attract me. I like drummers and to help drummers be more professionals in their musical life/career.




About Solobeat it's the same. Soultone Artist Jim Marchuck introduced me to the brand. I asked Iwa Sumanto for some modified 2B's at the neck, a custom colour and lettering for my YT name (MrYann33) and my signature. They did it right away and sent. That was absolutely perfect. Design, balance and sound was exactly what I wanted so I went on with them. All was included, including shipping to my door, in the $7.50/$8 a pair. Unbeatable ! We have 3 woods choice: Acrazz Zapota (Indonesian Hickory), Maple and Oak at same price. Design possibilities are endless. 

Jonathan Haessler made a great demo here in France for us:






Those sticks are really really great. USA guys includes many drummers: Jim Marchuck (thanks !!), Scott Baughn, Kareem Hazeleyes Williams, Lucrecia T Doyle, Carlos Velasquez, Meech Dadrumma Cross, Rick Ayala, Robbie Hajdasz, Phil Galante, Donn Miller, Jason Jones, Charles Vaught, Terry Mc Gowan, Matt Bo Eder.....so many...

We have also in Mexico, Brasil, UK (Cats in Space drummer Steevi Bacon for example), Norway, Russia, Spain...
As of French guys we have: Geoffrey "Jock" Molas, Stephane HK, Recording Studio Chagneau, Jonathan Haessler, Oscar Horgue, Yves André Morelli, Francis Swing, Silas Bru Gaulot, Denis Cusmano, Calice Le Fèvre, Gerald "gdrumz" Darden.....I don't remember them all as too many here too.

Lots more to come as we got inquiries every day. Solobeat makes also stunning Deluxe premium leather black or two tone sticks bags and cymbals bags as well as multi coloured guitar straps. Great designed Cajons too.


How do you describe your drumming style?
I try to be very musical + efficient and "less is more" when needed (particularly in studio with Vian). Or very wild and out of control with Orlando Furioso. Tempo and sound are very very important for me. Technical side must be mastered. Also you need to really listen to what's going around you on instead of just listening to your drums. Try to be a composer on the drumkit not just a drummer.



Tell us about Orlando Furioso Experimental Opera:
Orlando Furioso was created around 1995 by Roland Bourbon,Michel Lecoeur and I. It's an organic crazy show including 8 to 10 to 12 drummers, 4 guitars, 4 basses, horns, saxes, classical singers, dancers, pneumatic hammers, saws, fires and everything you can imagine. Every show is rehearsed for about 15 days and won't be played again. I have a video demo that I will include here. That's totally crazy.






Orlando Furioso is a wild project. How did you guys put that together?
As I was heading Inforythmie Drums (1991-2001), Roland Bourbon came one day and bought a 18"12"14" used Sonor Phonic kit. Connection was very good with him. He came back around 8 months later -in 1995- a Tuesday morning, and did tell me : "You play with us on Saturday......wild show...1 rehearsal, because of drum battles and fires+grinders, on afternoon.....that's all...Orlando Furioso...6 drummers..you're in..bring your drumkit around 1pm."...WHAT ???? Well....I did go (had to be replaced at drumshop) and....it was very impressive. I knew some of the players so...that was serious level. Lasted until 2006 I guess with some really incredible and unforgettable shows. Some were with/for disabled people and others with Classical dancers...Others with complete pipes players section from Bretagne... Amazing !! Here we are now as we first talked with Roland Bourbon about bringing it back on stage in April 2018. First signed (and paid) show is next September in Talence Peixotto Festival.



What projects are you working on now? Shows, Studio?
My actual serious project, beside the Orlano Furioso Opera, is Vian at recording Studio Chagneau with Philippe Vian (owner)
We make some "ungrounded in a good way & etheral music" (as Tommy Taylor would qualify it for "Ténèbres") that can also be melancholy (for "ABécédaire") and/or very upbeat as is Feletunken. The album project is well advanced as 5 to 6 tracks are recorded. Ph.Vian is on voices/words, synths, musical saw and mix, Pascal Rauzet on guitars, Yves Legharat is on bass and I'm on drums, background voices and mix. We'll have to decide as to go for a physical recorded support -as a CD- or simply digital high quality files in FLAC or Wave Audio to be available. Then, of course, we'll play those tracks live on stage.





How has drumming impacted or changed your life?
Drumming changed my whole life for sure. It's a real passion and I LOVE drummers, drums and drumming.



You are currently teaching drums, how is that going?
Teaching was a late experience for me as of 2001 and... I do it ever since on two schools here as well as in my own studio at home on Wednesday. I love to transmit knowledge in any form. Knowledge is intended to be shared.




How is the live music scene in your hometown?

Music scene is not bad here, we have a lot of bands and places to play. Unfortunately it's been run by a few corporate shitty guys that dictate their music tastes and I don't like that. I DON'T like that way of thinking. Everybody has the right to play their own music regardless of style. If it's Pro and serious then it's good for me.






With the corporate guys running the venues, is there a way for bands to work around it and get the exposure they deserve?
Yeah, there's still some as you can go your own way and organize your gigs. Plenty of other venues to be open for us/them with City Halls Cultural programs in so many places .


Name 5 of your drumming influences? why?

Only 5 is impossible..My drumming can be defined as many influences from Ron Tutt to Ian Paice to Buddy Rich to Alex Van Halen to Christain Vander. And to more contemporary guys like Vinnie Colaiuta, Manu KatchéBill Gibson, Max Weinberg, or Gergo Borlai.. I love all these guys' playing. They're technical, musical and play with lot of fire ..



Name an inspiring concert that made you want to go home and start shedding?

I must say Manu Katché and Vinnie Colaiuta on two phenomenal gigs here.. But also when I see Buddy or Christian or Tony or any great drummer on YT, I just GO and practice immediately.



How much time do you practice?

I try to practice every day at least 1 hour. When I can I do practice 2 or 2.5 hour. I divide one hour in 4x15mns and work only on things that I know can not play well. Always one hour on the pad. Lately I've been a lot in Afro Cuban drumming. I find it very difficult but amazingly interesting.




What types of things do you work on, in those sessions?

Rudiments, bass drum, musical fills related to a song and Jazz drive on cymbal. Also lots of metronome training.


Do you record drum videos of yourself? if so, how has it helped you?
I did some but not that much as I don't have the gear for. But now that Studio Chagneau has been appointed official Soultone Studio by Jereon Vandelft' Soultone Europe, we will do a lot! I have a YT channel.

Do you have a crazy or interesting gig you can share with us?
Yes..It was with Orlando Furioso at Les Sarabande de Boucau Fest. around 2003 or 2004. We did install all gear and stage in the forest and there was the audience transported by wood wagons (so there was a lot)...The stage was hidden in forest and you can imagine when all lights came in and drums battles :0) :0)) ...It was astounding and so funny to see their reactions!!!

What are your words of wisdom for your fellow drummers out there?
Words of wisdom are: There is NO secret(s). You have to practice and work hard on your musical skills and play a lot and meet different people. EVERY day. Be positive and then, things will start to look (very) good one day or another.



Last Words, Links, Hashtags and Thank You's???

Yeah: thanks so much 200% to Soultone USA : Iki Levy, Laura and Tomer. Soultone Europe : Jeroen Vandelft. Solobeat Indonesia: Iwa Sumanto. Groove Juice as I'm also an Endorser of the Best cymbal cleaner available: Dave Stirewalt. Ludwig Europe: Guillaume F. Rochat for his help. Uli Salazar from Ludwig. Philippe Vian for the Vian project (Studio de Chagneau). Mark Tirabassi for Attack Drumheads (Cardinal Percussion). Vukan Karadzic (Oriollo Drums). Joe Perfito for the amazing quality cables (Tributaries Cables). Steevi Bacon (Cats on Space drummer. UK) Tommy Taylor (C.Cross, Eric Johnson) for all his advice and live chats.
Last but not least: I would like to point the great help from Ludwig Drums & Terry Bissette. This concerns the elaborating of a huge power kit in 28"14"18", and maybe 20" FT added, as for the Orlando Furioso Opera live on stage. These sizes (14x28" bass and 20" FTom) are not available as of Classic Maple regular production at Ludwig Factory. And the answer has been "No..sorry Yannick..That bass drum size is a Concert Bass Drum for us, it's not for drumset application and we don't produce a 20" Floor Tom as it's a Bass Drum". I was very disappointed and a friend adviced me to call Gretsch ....I did... But..... Terry did chime in and messaged me : "Okay Yannick, I saw that Orlando Furioso video... I'll work with you on this one...please let me know precise details and finish please"... Thanks so much to him for considering me. Thanks so much Ludwig Drums. Roland Bourbon and production staff were in heaven ;0)

And very important too: all French, Europe and USA drummers that trust and follow me.



#soultone #soultoneeurope #soultonefrance #solobeat #ludwig #oriollo #tributaries #mryann33 


Soultone France IG: 

Orlando Furioso will air live again in 2019. Ancien clip here: 

My YT channel with lots of snares tests and drums:






Well, there you have it. Yannick is doing some kool work in France I hope he continues in all of his endeavors. He's got a full plate but we drummers know how to multitask.
It's good to know that drummers in Europe have a good guy on their side. So, if you're looking for cymbals or sticks, contact Yannick.
Make sure everyone hooks up with Yannick on soc med. Let's keep these connections strong.
Thank You Yannick for sharing your drum life with us!






Any drummers out there that need some publicity?
Maybe your band is releasing a project or tour?
Maybe you're a teacher or a studio guy and you just want to add to your profile?
Hit me up and let's get you going with an interview.
DeHaven - de@oliomusic.com



I would like to thank all of my supporters:








#TalkinChop #DrummersSupportDrummers #DrumLife



I'M OUT!




No comments:

Post a Comment